Cheese is not the only reason why I don’t really eat lasagna, the effort in making it is sometimes too much. But in the end, it’s well worth it. It feeds a large party or family and it provides you a week’s worth of lunch and dinner (only if you don’t mind eating it for a week).
This is yet another Thug Kitchen recipe (Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna) with a slight modification. I personally think this version is WAY better than the lasagna using beans as a substitute for ricotta. Instead of using spinach, I used swiss chard. Growing up, my father instilled this notion that spinach and tofu CANNOT be eaten together because it causes kidney stones. Fact is, spinach and swiss chard is recommended to be eaten in moderation and maybe even avoidance for those whom have developed stones due to oxalates. Blanching them will help reduce the amount of oxalic acid.
The lasagna consists of layers of noodles, basil pesto, mushroom and swiss chard (or spinach if you use that), marinara and tofu ricotta.
Best to prepared the fillings in advance to save time.
Ingredients for mushroom and swiss chard filling:
– 16oz white button or cremini mushroom
– olive oil
– 1 large bunch of swiss chard
– 2 tbsp pesto
Directions for mushroom and swiss chard filling:
1. Clean mushrooms with damp towel by carefully wiping off any dirt. Remove any tough stems and cut in to pieces.
2. Remove swiss chard leaves from its ribs and stems. Cut leaves into 2″ pieces.
3. Have a bowl of ice water nearby. Heat a pot of water until boil. Place swiss chard leaves in small batches in the pot to blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove and plunge blanched leaves into the ice water. Repeat until all leaves are blanched. Squeeze water from leaves and set aside.
4. In a saute pan, heat oil over medium heat and add mushrooms. Saute for about 2 minutes and add the swiss chard. Add a pinch of salt and cook for about 5 more minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 tbsp pesto. Set aside.
Directions to assemble lasagna:
1. Cook lasagna noodles (about 1 pound or 12 noodles) as directed.
10. Cover dish with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, Gently remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes, just when the noodles look a bit golden around the edges.