As much as I love mashed potatoes, it can be a heavy, starchy dish or a side to a meal. Alternatively, there’s mashed cauliflower, which is much easier and less time to make. Kids may notice the different in taste, but hey, it looks like mashed potatoes 😉
– 1 large cauliflower head, cut into pieces.
– 5 garlic cloves (or use roasted garlic for more deliciousness)
– 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (or other fat of choice)
– freshly ground black pepper
– ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. If your pot has a steamer insert, place cauliflower onto the steamer and put in the pot once the water comes to a boil. If you do not have a steamer, use a colander (make sure it fits the pot without submerging the colander into the pot). Steam it for about 10 minutes covered, or until tender.
3. Put steamed cauliflower, garlic and butter into a food processor and pulse until everything is just about smooth. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pulse a bit more until you get a smooth consistency.