Since bringing back home cinnamon roasted almonds from Trader Joe’s, we’ve been crying for it since running out.
Turns out, they are quite easy to make. No need to cross the border for them, especially with our Canadian dollar so low.
This recipe is for raw almonds, but you can use roasted almonds, just don’t put them in the oven after coating them in the sugar mixture.
– ¾ cup brown sugar
– a pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– ¼ cup water
– 2 cups almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (skip this if you are using roasted almonds).
2. Put sugar, salt, cinnamon and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil under medium heat.
3. Once the sugar has melted (when you stir, you should feel little to no graininess).
4. Add almonds, stir constantly to keep the sugar from burning and until liquid evaporates.
5. Pour almonds in to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Try not to any almonds overlap but you have to move quickly as the sugar is fast to crystallize. If you are using roasted almonds, just let it cool on the sheet.
6. Roast for 10 minutes and allow it to cool (skip this step if you are using roasted almonds).