Whenever I make quinoa, it’s mostly pilaf style since it’s easy to put together for work lunch. Time to change it up a bit. When I found a recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers from Sweet Potato Chronicles, it as perfect since I had almost everything, expect for the peppers and cheese.
Now, cheese is rarely every in my fridge, but I happened to find vegan cheese at the grocery store, and get this… it melts!
I may not have it in my fridge that often, especially since it’s so pricey and I can live without adding no cheese, but it’s definitely a bit of saviour for my tummy 😉
There are a few adjustments I made for my stuffed peppers. I only added ½ cup of the vegan cheese since when I tasted it, it was pretty salty.
– 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dried yields about 3 cups)
– 1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen because corn is not in season)
– ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
– ½ cup tomatoes, diced
– ½ cup Daiya mozzarella style shred cheese
– 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp chili powder
– salt and pepper
– 8 bell peppers, tops cut and seeded
– bell peppers tops, chopped (don’t waste!)
– 3 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook quinoa as per directions on the package and set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, mix cooked quinoa, corn, black beans, tomatoes, vegan cheese, parsley, cumin, chili powder chopped bell pepper tops and olive together. Taste for seasoning before adding salt and pepper.
3. Carefully spoon filling into the peppers and place them in a baking pan, standing up.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are soft. I kept mine in the oven for about 40 minutes though.